Pasqua! - Italian Easter Bread
every family in Italy has a variation of this recipe, traditionally
baked shortly before the holiday to break the Lenten fast.
and festive, Italian Easter Bread serves as an attractive
circular nest for colored Easter eggs, and is sometimes topped
with colored sugar or sprinkles.
Serve at Easter breakfast with coffee, or after the holiday
dinner meal with round of espresso or a dessert wine.
Easter Bread Recipe
1/4 cup sugar
1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup warm milk
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
1/2 teaspoon anise seeds
5 colored Easter eggs
In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast
2. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and beat in
milk and butter.
3. Add 2 eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes on high. Stir
in candied fruit and aniseed and mix well.
4. Beat in remaining flour to form a soft dough.
5. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth
6. Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let
rise in a warm place until double in volume. Punch down the
dough and divide into two pieces.
7. Roll out each piece into a 24-inch rope. Loosely twist
ropes and "nest" colored eggs into openings.
8. Cover and let rise until doubled.
9. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Remove from pan and let cool before serving.
also see -> Italian
Easter | Italian
Easter Pie Recipe
on the Web:
Easter Bread - with complete nutritional
info and calorie count.
Pasqua! Easter in Italy